There are times when we need comfort food.
My maternal grandmother’s recent passing was for me such a time; I found myself making this hot chocolate for many days as I was grieving. Now that our mornings are growing cold, I’ve been drinking this as my breakfast. It’s rich and filling, the way cocoa should be, without compromising my primal diet. It’s like a hug for my tummy. 😉
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon, sea salt and/or cayenne pepper for flavor
- 1 raw pastured egg
- optional: 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Combine all the ingredients except the egg in a saucepan and heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk so that the milk does not burn, and heat to desired temperature.
- Beat the egg into the mixture just prior to serving. You can warm it a little longer if desired, but whisk constantly or you will have a chocolate-poached egg, instead of an enriched hot beverage. 😉