- boneless skinless chicken breast, 1 per person
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 medium to large red onion
- spring greens, or other salad mix (please abstain from iceberg, it really has no nutritional value whatsoever)
- Place chicken in a bowl and season with lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Rub the spices into the flesh really well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Julienne the bell peppers and onion. Set aside for the moment.
- Heat your grill on high. Heat a large saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add a couple tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to the pan, and allow the oil to warm for a few minutes, until it moves quickly across the surface when the pan is tilted.
- Saute the peppers and onions in the oil, until tender and caramelized.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, grill the chicken. (How long? Until it’s done. And that all depends on the size of those chicken boobies. It shouldn’t take longer than 20-25 minutes.)
- Once the chicken is done, remove from the grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Arrange the salad greens on the plate. Top with a “handful” of peppers and onions, and then add the chicken. Voila! Fajita de pollo ensalada!
We enjoy our chicken fajita salad with some homemade lactofermented salsa and fresh avocado salsa from Pro’s Ranch Market, and maybe a little Tapatio if the chicken isn’t spicy enough. A spicy chipotle ranch would also go well with this salad; it is quite tasty sans dressing, too. Happy Cooking!