I love smoothies! Well, not the typical, run-of-the-mill sort full of sugary juice and frozen yogurt… Even back before I really knew the truth about sugars, I avoided dessert-posing-as-health-food in favor of fruit & veggie based concoctions. They still weren’t very healthy, at least not by Primal standards – or even those of Weston A. Price (whose dietary guidelines we followed before we went Primal). Now that I’ve been educated & enlightened, I pack as much protein and fat into the blender as is humanly possible. The results are what I call the Primal Power Smoothie – because it imbibes the consumer with loads of primal energy! This smoothie is by & large one of my favorite snacks; I double it to turn it into a meal.
Primal Power Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 raw pastured egg yolk
- 1 cup of berries, fresh or frozen (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries…)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon nut butter or coconut oil
- ice (if using fresh berries)
- optional: frozen banana, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, handful of spinach…
- Place everything in the blender. I find it helps if the berries and ice are near the blades, and coconut milk poured down over top.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, or drink it from the blender, and ENJOY!